Fruity Rhubarb Fool
About this recipe
Quintessentially English and so nostalgic, in this recipe, homemade rhubarb fool is transformed into stunning knicker-bocker-glories. Pretty layers of pink rhubarb fool, crumbly golden granola, scarlet strawberry compote and vanilla scented cream complement each other perfectly.
- 500g rhubarb
- 75g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- 300ml double or whipping cream
- 300ml crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 75g icing sugar
- 100g strawberries (keep four whole strawberries to one side and chop the rest)
- 200g Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola
- With a sharp knife and cutting board, chop the leaves and end off the rhubarb stalks and discard. Cut the stalks into small pieces.
- Using the hob and a pan on a medium heat, place in the rhubarb, orange juice and sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer until soft and completely cooked.
- Remove from the heat and strain the rhubarb through a sieve, collecting the syrup in a bowl underneath. Place the strained rhubarb in a bowl to one side to cool.
- Chop up the strawberries. Pour the syrup back into the pan and add in the chopped strawberries.
- Bubble together the syrup and strawberries to make a simple compote on a medium heat for around five minutes.
- Remove the strawberry compote from the heat. Use a fork to roughly crush the strawberries and then put to one side to cool.
- Whisk the cream, icing sugar, vanilla and crème fraiche together with an electric hand whisk until softly peaked.
- Fold two thirds of the whipped cream mixture into the cooled rhubarb.
- Take four glasses and spoon a layer of the rhubarb fool into each one. Layer with Lizi’s Digestive Health Granola, a few spoonful’s of the strawberry compote and repeat until the glasses are almost full.
- Decorate with the whole strawberries and a sprinkle of the granola. Enjoy!