Vegan Butternut Squash Salad with a Granola Crunch
About this recipe
Perfect for vegans and those trying out veganuary, this warm winter salad is packed with goodness and its zingy colour palette will cheer the greyest January day.
- 2 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- Half a butternut squash
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 heads of red chicory or radicchio
- 100g of Rocket leaves
- 1 tin of cooked Borlotti beans
- 1 tablespoon of Agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard
- 4 tablespoons of Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 ice cube
- 2 clementines or 1 orange (peeled and finely sliced)
- Sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- A sprinkle of Lizi’s High Protein Granola
- Preheat the oven at 180c.
- With a chopping board and sharp knife, cut the butternut squash in half long-ways and scoop out the seeds from half.
- Slice the butternut squash into thin slices cross-ways, leaving the skin on.
- Peel and cut the red onions into wedges.
- Put the slices of butternut squash and onion onto a roasting tin and sprinkle with oil and chilli flakes. Roast at 180c for 35 minutes.
- Using the hob, and a small pan on a medium heat, cook the borlotti beans for around 5 minutes and leave to cool.
- Start to pile the salad leaves onto a serving dish.
- In a jam jar, put in the mustard, balsamic vinegar, agave nectar/maple syrup, oil and an ice cube. Put the lid on and shake well.
- Pile the roasted squash and red onion onto the salad leaves. Add the borlotti beans, sundried tomatoes and the peeled and sliced orange/clementine. Toss gently to combine with some of the dressing.
- Sprinkle the Lizi’s High Protein Granola on top and drizzle with some more of the dressing. Serve and enjoy.