Healthy Twist Mac & Cheese
About this recipe
Recipe created in partnership with nutritionist Lily Soutter
Who doesn’t love a little comfort food in winter? This mac and cheese ticks all the boxes, as it’s delicious yet also comes with a healthy twist. The addition of butternut squash, combined with the silken tofu and a touch of nutritional yeast, makes the lovely smooth, silky, yet cheesy sauce which is low in saturated fat.
This dish is also packed with fibre, with the use of wholegrain fusilli, and a crispy breadcrumb granola topping. A great way to sneak in more veggies to your diet and is suitable for vegans.
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion (roughly diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 orange pepper (sliced)
- 200g butternut squash (cubed)
- 220g wholewheat fusilli pasta
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 120g silken tofu
- 200ml milk (dairy-free if required)
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 15g nutritional yeast
- 40g grated cheese (dairy-free if required)
- 1/2 slice of wholemeal bread
- 2 tablespoons of Lizi’s Original Granola (blended into large crumbs)
- Using a medium heat, boil a pan of water on the hob, adding the butternut squash cubes. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Whilst that cooks, in a separate saucepan, boil water and add in the pasta. Cook until the pasta is cooked.
- Whilst the pasta and squash cook, heat another pan on a medium heat and add the oil and onion. Cook for a few minutes before adding the sliced pepper and garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Once the butternut squash is cooked and drained add it to a blender along with the nutmeg, silken tofu, milk, flour and 10g of the nutritional yeast.
- When smooth, add to the pepper mixture along with the cooked pasta. Combine all three and pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and granola crumbs with the remaining nutritional yeast and sprinkle on top. Do the same with the cheese and then place into the oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy!