Little Italian Almond and Granola Biscuits
- 75g ground almonds
- 50g whole hazelnuts
- 50g Lizi’s Organic granola
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, soft
- 100g spelt, wholemeal or plain flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper
- Gently crush the hazelnuts or whizz in the food processor
- Mix together with the ground almonds
- Add the butter, sugar, salt and flour to the almonds and hazelnuts and mix together until you have a creamy dough.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and pop the dough into the fridge and let it rest for about an hour, or longer if that’s more convenient for you.
- When you are ready to bake the biscuits, preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Use a melon baller, small ice cream scoop or your hands to make the dough into tiny cherry sized ball shapes.
- Space the balls a little apart on the lined baking trays. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Carefully lift the trays out, sprinkle all the biscuits with the granola (it is easiest if you have this ready in a small bowl with a spoon) and pop back into the oven to bake for a further five minutes.
- Take the biscuits out of the oven, leave to cool completely on their trays.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, or carefully in the microwave.
- Put to one side to cool for about an hour as if it is too runny it is tricky to spread on the biscuits.
- Spoon some chocolate on the flat side of one biscuit and press another biscuit on top.
- Put on a piece of baking paper for the chocolate to set.
- The biscuits keep well in a sealed jar or container for up to a week. They look pretty in a sealed glass jar in the kitchen and make a lovely present to give to friends.