Ultimate Black Bean Burgers
About this recipe
A burger with health benefits – what’s not to love? As well as packing in at least 2 of our 5-a-day, these burgers come with a delicious dose of plant-based protein and fibre. The granola helps bind the burger together whilst adding in a source of slow-release carbohydrates and fibre.
Serve in a wholemeal roll for that extra nutrient hit, and why not try smashed avocado as a perfect creamy mayonnaise replacement.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BURGER
- 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 red chilli (finely diced)
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of Lizi’s Original Granola (blended into crumbs)
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 2 wholemeal rolls
- 1/2 avocado (mashed)
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 medium sized lettuce
- Begin by placing the drained black beans into a large bowl and mashing roughly half of them.
- Into the same bowl, add in the diced red onion, pepper, chilli, garlic clove, flax egg, plain flour, Lizi’s Original Granola, chopped spring onion and mixed herbs.
- Combine the ingredients and then using your hands, form into 2 large or 4 small patties. Place the patties onto a lined tray, cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- When ready to cook, heat a non-stick pan or a normal pan with a drizzle of oil on medium heat. When hot add in the burgers and cook for a couple of minutes before flipping over.
- Repeatedly flip every 2 minutes until they are cooked the whole way through, to avoid burning
- Once cooked, stack in the burger buns with lettuce, sliced tomato, mashed avocado and some extra granola for added crunch. Enjoy!