Granola Picnic Buns
About this recipe
These little granola buns are fun to make and lovely for summer picnics and school holiday adventures. Pack them with delicious fillings and munch them in your favourite places.
Granola picnic buns
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 100g plain wholemeal flour
- 150g plain white flour
- 125ml warm water
- 125ml warm milk
- 7g dried yeast (1 sachet)
- 6g sea salt
- 50g butter
- 50g butter
- 100g Lizi’s Low Sugar Granola
- 4 eggs, hardboiled
- Mashed with a fork with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- A dash of milk
- Put the flour, water, milk, yeast and salt into a large mixing bowl. If using an electric mixer fit the dough hook and mix for five minutes. If making by hand knead in the bowl for about five minutes.
- Add the beaten egg and butter and mix together.
- Put a little oil on your hands as this makes it easier to knead the dough.
- Knead for about 8 minutes in the mixer or for ten minutes by hand on the worktop (lightly dusted with flour).
- After about five minutes kneading, add the granola and mix for the remaining time.
- Put the dough into a large bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise at room temperature.
- When the dough has roughly doubled in size, divide roughly into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Line a flat or low sided baking tray (approx. 24cm x 24cm) with non-stick baking paper.
- Lay the balls of dough in neat rows on the tray (3 rows of 4 balls).
- Cover the balls of dough with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for at least an hour in a warm part of the kitchen.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Brush the rolls with a little beaten egg and sprinkle some of the granola on top.
- Put in the pre-heated oven and bake at 180C for about 15 – 20 mins or until the rolls sound hollow when you tap them on the bottom.
- Leave to cool on the baking tray.